To celebrate Halloween, we asked Alice Maguire, the longtime Goodman Properties Supervisor, to tell us her stories of working on the classic 1980s slasher films, Friday the 13th & Friday the 13th II. Here, she shares the most memorable moments.

I had to look up the year, 1980, 40 years ago, wow. I don’t have any pictures and I don’t think I even took any then, guess we were too busy working. 

Here are some things I remember… We had a small crew and my position was actually on-set props, meaning I was there early to help set up and be available if needed and was the last to leave after cleaning up for the day. I was hired on the recommendation of a good friend, David Potts, who was a theatre scene designer but now works in film (he was the art director on Deadwood). 

We filmed late summer into fall at Camp No-Be-Bo-Sco, a  Boy Scout Camp in Blairstown, NJ (and after the staff and campers left for the season). The union crew stayed at the local hotel but the on-set wardrobe person and myself lived in the nurse’s very rustic camp cabin, appropriately named “Bird House” with a typical spider filled shower which I will never forget. 

Random memories: Betsy Palmer (Mrs. Voorhees) and Kevin Bacon were two the nicest people I’ve ever worked with. Betsy made donations in all of our names to the Salvation Army at Christmas after the production closed. 

The FX folks were Tom Savini and his cousin? Taso [Savini]? Had set up a workshop in one of the buildings in the camp. They cast a fabulous rubber frying pan for a scene where Mrs. Voorhees gets hit on the head which I took home and had a great deal of fun with it for years.

There’s a scene when the “counselors” are around the campfire and one of the actors plays guitar. If you look closely, most of the strings are missing. It was my brother’s guitar from Sears and Roebuck that I grabbed along with a bunch of other dressing props from my parent’s house in Conneticut. It wasn’t expected to be featured!  Oh well.

The killing of the snake was real. I don’t have knowledge how it all came about, but the handler that brought it said it was a sick snake and would have been killed anyway. After the shoot, I had to pack up the remains and keep it cold until the next day in case the scene needed to be reshot. Thankfully, it wasn’t necessary. 

As we approached the end of the shoot, the summer was turning into fall so we sometimes had to spray the leaves that were in the frame back to green. That final scene, when Alice gets knocked out of the boat into the lake; that lake was freezing. 

I didn’t have much of a movie career and prefer the personalities and process of theatre much better. So you are now officially two degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon!